What is artificial insemination?
Artificial insemination is an assisted reproduction technique that consists of the process of introducing sperm directly into a woman’s reproductive tract with the aim of fertilizing an egg and achieving a pregnancy. This technique is based on the idea of improving the probability of fertilization by increasing the amount of sperm in the female reproductive tract at the time of ovulation.
In what situations is it recommended to use artificial insemination?
Artificial insemination can be used in different situations, some of which include:
- Ovulation problems, such as endometriosis.
- Sterility problems in men, such as low sperm count or mobility.
- Same-sex couples.
- Receive sperm from a donor
The artificial insemination procedure step by step
- Sperm Collection: Sperm is collected by ejaculation or by extracción direct removal of the testicles.
- Sperm Preparation: Sperm undergoes a preparation process to increase the chances of fertilization.
- Insemination: the prepared sperm is introduced directly into the reproductive tract of the woman.
- Pregnancy monitoring: Tests are done to determine if a viable pregnancy has been achieved.